For updates on the impact of what is being referred to as a "super typhoon," be sure to visit these websites:
The following are some discussion questions you can use in your classroom with students:
- Where is the Philippines? Find this country on a global map and calculate its distance from your school.
- What is a typhoon? How is it different from a hurricane?
- Why is a typhoon considered a natural disaster?
- How do scientists study typhoons? Who else is involved in studying and reporting on typhoons besides scientists?
- Describe the track and category levels of Typhoon Haiyan. How many countries were impacted by Haiyan?
- Why is studying typhoons important?
- What do you think will be the short-term impacts of Haiyan on the environment? What do you think will be the long-term impacts of Haiyan on the environment?
- Do you think another typhoon will impact the Philippines? How many have made landfall in this region in the past?
- Should people be able to rebuild their homes and businesses that were destroyed by a typhoon? Why/why not?
Here is a video from the Discovery Channel that describes the difference between hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones.