Ethiopia and Dam Construction
Designed to the be the largest hydroelectric power plant in Africa, Ethiopia will begin construction on a $4.7 billion Grand Millennium Dam across the Blue Nile River. The dam will supply more than 5,000 megawatts of electricity. Additional Ethiopian dam construction projects are ongoing and close to completion, but at what environmental and human costs?
Articles to Share with Students
- The Dam that Divides Ethiopians
- Ethiopia Moving Ahead on Nile Dam
- Ethiopia Moves Forward With Massive Nile Dam Project
- The Blue Nile – National Geographic
- Hydroelectric Power – New York Times Science Topics
- Ethiopia – CIA: The World Factbook
- Grand Millennium Dam
Questions for Classroom Discussion
- Why is Ethiopia utilizing and continuing to explore hydroelectric power?
- Why is water so important in this region?
- What are the short-term and long-term impacts on the environment?
- What are the short-term and long-term impacts on humans?
- Do YOU think the Grand Millennium Dam should be constructed? Why/why not?