FREE AMS DataStreme Online Graduate Courses
Here is an opportunity for free graduate credits in science while learning about oceans, weather, and climate.
The American Meteorological Society (AMS) has received major support from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to conduct a Teacher Professional Development Project with a strong leadership component. In response, the DataStreme Project has been developed and is being implemented nationwide. The DataStreme Project is an innovative set of internet-based distance-learning courses directed towards middle-school teachers, but open to all K-12 teachers.
The course, DataStreme Atmosphere (link is external) - focuses on the study of the atmospheric environment; DataStreme Ocean (link is external) - explores the ocean in the Earth system; and DataStreme Earth's Climate System (link is external) (ECS) - incorporates inquiry-based instructional strategies and a holistic concept of Earth from oceanic, atmospheric and terrestrial climate and problem-focused perspectives.
You will be prepared to act as your school's education resource person in the topic of your DataStreme course. By successfully completing a DataStreme course, you will:
- Learn science fundamentals via a unique electronically delivered distance-learning course that emphasizes the study of Earth system science as it happens.
- Become your school's representative as part of a major national science education program conducted by the American Meteorological Society in close cooperation with NOAA and NASA.
- Develop computer-based real-time environmental information acquisition and analysis skills.
- Receive resource and reference materials for your professional library. Discover ways to instill the excitement of current real-world science events across the K-12 STEM curriculum.
- Develop collegial working relationships with DataStreme, LIT members, and other course participants.
All participants are enrolled in a 3 semester-hour graduate course through the State University of New York College at Brockport. Credit is awarded upon successful completion of course requirements the same semester as the course is taken and is FREE!
Please contact John D. Moore, Local Implementation Team (LIT) Leader for more information or to enroll at: firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail)