Indications for Water Flowing on Mars
Water existing on Mars is not anything new to report, but how about liquid (not frozen) water that is flowing today (not millions/billions of years ago)? Scientists have found that the relatively warmer summer Martian months cause liquid water to flow on the surface.
Articles to Share with Students
- Is Mars Weeping Salty Tears?
- Mars Bars: Seasonal Markings on Martian Slopes Could Indicate Flowing Water
- NASA Spacecraft Data Suggest Water Flowing on Mars
- NPR AUDIO: Dark Streaks on Mars May Be Sign of Liquid Water
- Mars – NASA Lunar and Planetary Science
- Mars – New York Times Science Topics
- Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter - NASA
- Astrogeology Science Center – Mars [USGS]
Questions for Classroom Discussion
- Where does water exist on Mars, and in what physical state?
- What is the physical evidence that has led scientists to believe there may be liquid water on Mars?
- How could scientists prove this new idea?
- What is the significance of liquid water on Mars?
Compiled August 8, 2011, by L.A. Guertin