PolarTREC NOW accepting applications until 09/08/15; real-world polar research experience
Applicaiton deadline: September 8, 2015
PolarTREC (Teachers and Researchers Exploring and Collaborating) is a program in which K-12 teachers spend 3-6 weeks participating in hands-on field research experiences in the polar regions. The goal of PolarTREC is to invigorate polar science education and understanding by bringing K-12 educators and polar researchers together. By fostering the integration of research and education, PolarTREC will continue the momentum established during the International Polar Year (IPY) by addressing the following program objectives:
- To improve teacher science and content knowledge of the Polar Regions and integration of topics into their classroom instruction.
- To increase teachers’ knowledge and use of science and engineering practices with their students in the classroom.
- To develop teachers’ educational leadership skills.
- To increase students’ understanding and engagement in the Polar Regions and interest in polar science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) careers.
- To develop long-term professional relationships between teachers and researchers and to develop researcher understanding of K-12 education to strengthen outreach and dissemination of their research.
Lear more about the program and how to apply at: http://www.polartrec.com/