Antes Fort was once a colonial outpost in Lycoming County, near Williamsport. William Penn's agents had bought the land from Andaste Tribal Chief King Wi-daagh. Wi-daagh realized that for the few trinkets he received in exchange for this sacred site, he had been swindled by the Englishmen. Many report that Wi-daagh's spirit still roams the Nippenose Valley as a form of eternal protest.
A granite column from the Pennsylvania State Capitol was placed here to honor King Wi-daagh along the banks of Antes Creek in 1900, commemorating the treaty. The column was originally part of the State Capitol building in Harrisburg that burned in 1897 and was transported to this location by the property's owner.
The back side of the column is engraved with the following:
KING OF THE SUSQUEHANNA INDIANS.
WHOSE WIGWAM WAS HERE
EXECUTED TREATY WITH WM. PENN
SEPT., 13. 1700
CONVEYING SUSQUEHANNA RIVER
AND LANDS ADJOINING IN CONSIDERATION OF
"A PARCEL OF ENGLISH GOODS"
ERECTED SEPT. 13. 1900